Thursday, February 1, 2007

Top Chef -- No Surprises, Please

So, Ilan won "Top Chef." Just like Food & Wine Magazine, one of the show's top sponsors, said he did. A few days before the finale. Nice work, Food & Wine. Why don't you tell me who wins the Super Bowl while you're at it? Ilan's Spanish cuisine topped Marcel's gastro-chemist fare. I'm not sure what it is about Ilan that I don't like. Maybe it's the way he wears multiple watches at the same time. Or maybe it's his bizarre Super Mario Bros-esque red suspender getup (Is this some kind of chef-wear I'm not aware of?). Or maybe it was how he ripped last season's winner, the infinitely more likable Harold Dieterle. Or maybe it's because he's a dick. Whatever it is, I don't like him. Sure, Marcel seemed like a prick, too, but at least he had something original going on with his food. I mean, Spanish cuisine? That's so two nights ago.

[Note: Yesterday I wrote a long post about Michael Pollan's article in the New York Times Magazine and misspelled his name throughout. I apologize. The error has been corrected.]

No comments: